Friday 2 February 2018

February 2018 is Romance Month


falling in love,
being in love,
love until the last breath.

Who would you like to cosy up to this Valentine’s Day?

Hello Friends,

February is the month I like to post articles about anything romance, books and love. Yet, this last year, I’ve been rocked by the news cycle of abusive behavior, assault and protest marches. The time has come for listening, learning, changing the rules and healing.

The cultural shifts will scour a new path for human relationships. I wondered if women would want to keep reading fantasies stories that pivot around hope, happiness and love. Have romance novels become too unrealistic and escapist compared to everyday life? Could I keep writing romance novels during this intense era of purging pain, trauma and brokenness? 


picturequotes.com
I once read a comment that when real-life is overwhelming, for example, when new military invasions are in the news or wars start, some romance readers leave their contemporary novels and retreat to historical romances…to a different world.

One day recently, I followed the trend without realizing it until afterward. The world news of nuclear missiles possibly being fired across continents terrified me, I dived into reading a regency romance. I love the scoundrel dukes.

Then I dusted off my Victorian age romance manuscript and poured through the chapters to see if the writing was a bunch of rubbish. Nope, I found it was still patiently waiting for some rewrites and the big edit. Oh and the Duke was scandalous, and his lordly son, was a blackguard. Fortunately, the spirited heroine had the measure of both captivating men.

I decided to keep believing in romance and love as a force for good.




The need to express love for another person and be loved in return is unlikely to fade to nothing. Love gives meaning to our lives. Fills our heart. Feeds our soul. Our mission is love.

I’m not ignoring the news or the revolution, but romance novels are my favorite antidote to a real-world roiling with confusion and transformation.    



“Oh no. Don’t smile. You’ll kill me. I stop breathing when you smile.”
--Tessa Dare, A Lady of Persuasion*

“Romance novels are birthday cake and life is often peanut butter and jelly. I think everyone should have lots of delicious romance novels lying around for those times when the peanut butter of life gets stuck to the roof of your mouth.”
--Janet Evanovich*
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

“Reading a romance novel is indulging yourself in happiness.”
--Sarah Wendell’s Book, “Everything I know about Love I learned from Romance Novels.”

So this month, why not straddle worlds, open a romance book and read about;
Marriages of conveniences and second chances.
Heartfelt and deserving love.
Sizzling sex and steamy resolutions….
and happy endings.

Oh yeah!



Have a lovely weekend,
Ashlyn

* Quotes were sourced from Goodreads romance authors

No comments:

Post a Comment